Friday, May 16, 2008

Old School and New School

I, Bryan, have had some free time on my hands at work and when you couple that with an obsession of looking up things from my younger days, this is the kind of post you end up with. This post is a then and now post. In other words, here are some of my favorite characters from movies and cartoons back in the day and how they look these days.


First up is Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa in the classic underdog movie Rocky. Stallone initially produced five of these movies, the fifth one being a bit of a let down. Thank goodness he came out with the sixth, which he titled Rocky Balboa. Thanks to the help of some good human growth hormones, Stallone was able to look pretty dang good, especially for a 60-year-old man.
Here we have Ralph Macchio as the Karate Kid back in the day and now as a full-grown adult. Make no mistake, Ralph Macchio is not the proud owner of a lucrative chain of "Karate Kid Kar Wash" stores. There was a dirty rumor that was the case, but it is not.
This is the beloved Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots. My brother, Mikel, and I still have all of our original Transformers and Optimus Prime is one of them. Sometimes I wish Optimus Prime was real. As you can see, he has become much more technologically advanced with the release of the most recent Transformers movie.
For all you Star Wars fans there is no need of an introduction for this individual. In the original trilogy Yoda was a pretty fragile little guy, but in the new trilogy we all found out that the little green guy can fight pretty good, although I was disappointed that he never actually won any of his fights. I feel like he was holding back.

He-Man was a normal guy by day, and super powerful muscle-man after a raise of his sword and the statement of a simple phrase, "By the power of Greyskull, I have the power!" Not only did he gain super strength and courage, but so did his tiger-like sidekick, Cringer the Battle Cat. Once Prince Adam turned himself into He-Man, he would point his sword at Cringer and shoot him with some sort of special strength and courage ray. Mikel and I have a ton of He-Man action figures too, which most definitely includes He-Man, Cringer, and Castle Greyskull to name a few.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another well written weblog.

The Woolner Family said...

Is that Karate Kid thing for real because his head totally looked photoshopped on? If it is true, then he's waxing on and off for real.

the McLaughlin's said...

I did some research and it turns out that the "Kar wash" thing was not real. My bad. That would have been sweet, but it turns out that he is still acting here and there, not washing cars. Once I read the Woolner's post I totally could see the photoshop of his head and I started laughing.

Hulberts said...

FYI I, Lacey, read Mason "Masters of the Universe and The Rock Warriors" all the time. It's a classic book and it reminds me of my older brothers.